🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Pasta Al Forno with Pumpkin and Pancetta

215cf165 8952 4da2 af3c ebf4a7dc0f47  5095379791 2b0be6fffb z

I have a question about the recipe "Pasta Al Forno with Pumpkin and Pancetta" from merrill.

This is horrible because I'm sure the pancetta is essential but I'm a vegetarian and this just sounds right up my alley. Should I try it without the pancetta? Any subs anyone could recommend?

asked by enbe almost 6 years ago

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Dried porcini mushrooms; soaked, but still a little chewy like bacon. Smoky chipotle peppers, rehydrated and chopped. Field roast chorizo sausage (wheat based). If the recipe calls for fat from the rendered meat, try coconut oil for depth of flavor.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Great ideas, Anita!

I'm fairly sure this dish would taste delicious if you made it as is but without the pancetta. However, Anita's suggestion of soaking dried porcini mushrooms sounds like a reasonable sub.

What about adding olives as a substitute? They have the saltiness and the 'meat' like texture. I wanted to make this recipe also for vegetarian friends and now will try it with the olives and mushrooms as Anita recommends.