A question about a recipe: Pasta Al Forno with Pumpkin and Pancetta

5ce3b9f7 3367 41fb a35b 0e19d879de7f  img 0204

I have a question about the recipe "Pasta Al Forno with Pumpkin and Pancetta" from merrill.

This is horrible because I'm sure the pancetta is essential but I'm a vegetarian and this just sounds right up my alley. Should I try it without the pancetta? Any subs anyone could recommend?

asked by enbe almost 7 years ago

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Dried porcini mushrooms; soaked, but still a little chewy like bacon. Smoky chipotle peppers, rehydrated and chopped. Field roast chorizo sausage (wheat based). If the recipe calls for fat from the rendered meat, try coconut oil for depth of flavor.

Great ideas, Anita!

I'm fairly sure this dish would taste delicious if you made it as is but without the pancetta. However, Anita's suggestion of soaking dried porcini mushrooms sounds like a reasonable sub.

What about adding olives as a substitute? They have the saltiness and the 'meat' like texture. I wanted to make this recipe also for vegetarian friends and now will try it with the olives and mushrooms as Anita recommends.