🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Steamed Brown Bread

A7729c3f 7cd0 4985 9457 415019a9e1d7  steamed brown bread two

I have a question about the recipe "Steamed Brown Bread" from thirschfeld.
how do you get the bread out of the can?

asked by LynndaSB about 6 years ago

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

Take the foil off the can. Invert the can and Slap it with authority on a counter. This usually releases it but you may still need ti jiggle it to get it out .

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

As it cools it will probably shrink and pull away from the sides. You could take the bottom off the can -- and find more cans for the next time.

I've always just used a can opener to take the bottom off the can. The bread usually slips right out.

C1aa93d7 c7a4 4560 aa6d 6dca74cc98ca  smokin tokyo

I use the can opener to take the bottom off, then push it up through the can pushing the bread or cake out the top.
Great recipe!

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

that's a very interesting recipe. Although, some modern cans have a rounded bottom, impossible to use with a can opener on the bottom side. I found this out when trying to use tuna cans to use as 'egg rings/plating rings'. Pineapple cans don't have the round bottom.

Another option is "Flower Pot" bread. Popular in the 70's. Using the very small clay flowerpots, oiled, seasoned and baked to use again and again..and use those with a little foil or parchment on the bottom hole to keep the dough from leaking out through the drain hole in the bottom.

I've only had that with sweet yeast bread...but served in the flower pot and you just twisted the bread out at the table. The little single serving clay flower pot made a nice presentation for a organic resturant I used to go to, the inside of the clay pot was well seasoned and apparently non-stick after use. Just a push with your finger through the drain hole at the bottom and the bread would slip out. (of course these were used A LOT at the place and well seasoned).