A question about a recipe: Steamed Brown Bread

I have a question about the recipe "Steamed Brown Bread" from thirschfeld. What other options can we use to bake it in? I love the can idea but most can linings have BPA in them and that is obviously unappealing. Eden organics bean cans don't have BPA but they're lined with something else that is probably kind of bad to heat in contact with the bread. Thoughts for alternate, non-toxic baking molds for this lovely recipe?

• Posted by: Eve Fox
  • November 8, 2011
A7729c3f 7cd0 4985 9457 415019a9e1d7  steamed brown bread two
Recipe question for: Steamed Brown Bread

Voted the Best Reply!

Greenstuff November 8, 2011

You can make steamed breads in any container. They just have to fit into your water bath. My neighbor uses a lovely mold. A deep bowl or narrow pot can also work.

susan g November 8, 2011

I have used a recipe for Boston Brown Bread, the classic steamed 'native' bread, baked in the oven instead of steaming. Also, last I heard, the cans used by Eden Foods are BPA free (I'd check on that). Most recipes I see use a coffee can -- larger, and maybe because the contents are dry instead of wet, also free of BPA.

susan g November 8, 2011

Sorry, didn't read the rest of your question first, about Eden. Maybe a phone call to them?

susan g November 8, 2011

Thoughts are coming after 'add.' There are molds sold for steamed puddings.