A question about a recipe: Pumpkin Cupcakes with Chai Cream Cheese Frosting

F05f6b94 b245 46b2 82c4 4caf43009da4  img 8989

I have a question about the recipe "Pumpkin Cupcakes with Chai Cream Cheese Frosting" from SmallKitchCara.

I want to give these away on Monday, and today is Friday. Will they stay fresh?

asked by KKT almost 7 years ago

I have not made these cupcakes, they do sound wonderful. I have made cupcakes a couple of days in advance and refrigerated. They were still very fresh, I have a cupcake carrier which really works well for storage it seals them in but if you don't have one just cover them really well and refrigerate right after frosting them. IMHO, they will be fine.

The icing drives the refrigeration; once you ice them, you need to refrigerate them, unless you use a completely non-dairy icing. And if you do, well, I really don't want to know about it. The cupcakes themselves will actually stay fresher at room temp, enclosed securely. At refrigeration temperatures, starch molecules begin to break down. In doing so, they shed molecules of water, and effectively "stale" faster. I'd suggest wrapping the cupcakes securely in plastic, then icing them Monday before you generously give them away.

Thats so good to know, from now on I won't ice them until I am ready to use them. I learn so much from you,

You are so kind! ; ) And I from you and the pugs!

:o)

Cara Eisenpress

Yes - make both cupcakes and icing in advance, but don't actually frost the cupcakes until shortly before serving.

KKT
KKT

Thanks for the help! That is good to know. Thanks for including the information about the starch molecules breaking down in the refrigerator - that is really interesting! I am a nerd, so I always like to learn something new :)

Nerds of food52 unite!