🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: CHILE-INFUSED CHOCOLATE CARAMELS

60a4ffa2 03b6 4f8c 9802 50d4beb78e4c  dsc 3054

I have a question about the recipe "CHILE-INFUSED CHOCOLATE CARAMELS" from gluttonforlife. I love this recipe, but cutting the candies is a pain! I've tried a super sharp knife, tried warming it, wiping with oil... I've tried scissors... Any suggestions?

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

asked about 6 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

How about you try warming the pan of them in a really low oven for a couple of minutes?

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

I haven't made these so I don't know what their exact texture is but I assume you are having a hard time with them keeping shape? Try with some very thin fishing cord, wrapped around your pointer fingers and pushing with your thumbs against it to keep it straight. Slide it underneath and cut up by crosing ends above. If you find the right point in the cooling process in terms of texture and temperature , this will give you a pretty clean cut.

367d3166 a466 4b67 a123 677d02f016b1  ls

Cathy, it's all about your husband! Seriously, we've been making these for years and I relegate that task to mine. A very sharp chef's knife and perhaps a leather glove are the tips I can offer.

B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Thank you! I had to split the work up between two days and now have a wee blister and bruise on my cutting hand. Totally worth it

MrsWheelbarrow

Ad0d3623 a28a 4793 82a8 5f1ab0a2f633  dsc00426

hardlikearmour's suggestion has helped me before, and i also find that using a metal bench cutter/dough scraper works well, too. mine has a smooth, rounded handle that's easy to get some good, downward pressure on.

MrsWheelbarrow

Oh, I like that bench scraper idea. The pressure on the top of the knife was harsh after awhile and the smooth handle on my bench scraper would be kinder, for sure.