Thank you FOOD52 Baking cookbook ❤️
Featherweight Blueberry Scones
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup heavy cream, plus more for mixing and brushing
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter and cut/break apart butter into smaller pieces - some small pieces should remain.
2. Add the berries to the mixture and gently toss to coat.
3. In a small bowl, combine the cream, egg, and vanilla and mix well. Pour into the flour mixture and use your hands to gently work the cream into the flour mixture - aim for a folding motion, not a stirring motion. When dough begins to come together, use your hands to gently work the dough into a ball. If there is still a lot of loose flour in the bottom of bowl, drizzle in a bit more cream, about 1 teaspoon at a time, until the dough comes together. NOTE: be patient in this process - it will slowly eventually come together.
4. Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and gently lay it into a 6-7 inch circle. Cut the circle into 8 wedges.
5. Preheat oven to 425 degrees ferenheit.
6. Place scones on a lined baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Brush the tops with cream and then sprinkle with sugar.
7. Bake for 10 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake for 10 minutes longer, until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a scone comes out clean.
8. Let scone rest for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool or serving warm.