Delicious, light pillowy soft pretzels. What could be better? Serve with my sweet onion mustard recipe (my previous post). Makes 12 pretzels. Enjoy!
Have fun mixing up so flavor variations: sea salt and rosemary, cinnamon sugar, stuffed with cheddar, etc.
2 cups milk
2 packets active dry yeast
6 tablespoons light brown sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
4 1/2 cups flour (if dough is too wet, add 2 tablespoons more)
2 teaspoons fine salt
1/3 cup baking soda
3 cups warm water
Kosher salt, for sprinkling
5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter, for spreading on cooked pretzels as they come out of the oven
1. Warm milk to 110F. Stir in yeast and let sit about 3 minutes.
2. Add butter and sugar, and then flour 1 cup at a time. Then add fine salt.
3. Knead dough about 5 minutes.
4. Put in covered, greased bowl and let rise about 1 hour. Dough should double in size.
5. While dough rises, preheat oven to 450F. (And make my sweet onion mustard recipe - it's in my previous post).
6. Punch down dough, divide into 12 lumps (I divide dough in half, and in half again, and then each of those I divide into 3).
7. Mix baking soda into warm water in a wide shallow bowl.
8. Roll each dough ball as thin as you can and into a pretzel shape. Submerge each pretzel completely in water/ baking soda mixture.
9. Place each pretzel on greased parchment paper and sprinkle with kosher salt.
10. Bake 10 minutes. Coat pretzels in melted butter when they come out of the oven and allow butter to soak in before serving. Enjoy!!!
For more, check out my food blog: lovelysweetclear.blogspot.com