rounding out the holiday weekend with our kind of party food: larb and sticky rice.
sticky rice is one of my favorite things on this planet. and once you have the right equipment (which can be found at many international markets catering to Asian foods), it's also one of the easiest.
1. clean your sweet rice thoroughly, rubbing the grains between your hands and rinsing it through at least two washes of water. soak overnight.
2. when ready to cook, pour rice into a big, conical bamboo steamer basket, letting the soaking water drain through. position the basket over a pot of boiling water, making sure its bottom does not touch the water. steam, covered with any random lid, for 20 minutes.
3. gripping the basket with both hands, shake, lift, and pop to flip the rice (which should have formed a sticky mass at the base of the basket, by this point) over. steam for an additional 20 minutes.
4. roll the ball into a serving basket to cool.
5. once cool enough to touch and hold comfortably, grab with your grubby little hands, pinch with some larb, and shove directly into your happy little mouth-hole.