If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love this dish, it's comforting and delicious and you leave the table satisfied, it's also very inexpensive. I use a cut of beef that is very economical either the edge of eye or eye of round or top round. This meal is simple to make either on the stovetop, in the oven or even in a slow cooker. I serve with either mashed potato's or rice and a salad. You can purchase all the ingredients for this meal for under $10. It really depends where you shop it could be less but in NYC thats dirt cheap. I have seen round steak or edge of eye for as little as 1.99 per pound. This recipe gives 4 people a generous serving. —sdebrango
Serves 4-6 (depends on serving size)
pounds edge of eye or round steak
cans stewed tomato
small or med/small onion
tablespoons Flour (to dredge the meat)
Salt and pepper to taste
Some parsely chopped for garnish
Olive Oil to coat fry pan
- Dredge your steak in seasoned flour
- Chop onion and green pepper
- In a 12" fry pan ( with a lid) coated with oil fry your onions and green pepper don't cook through remove from pan when onions are translucent (you can put the peppers and onions together and remove together)
- Add a little more oil to the pan and put your steak in, brown on both sides. Don't cook through just brown the meat. Add the onion and green pepper, 2 cans of stewed tomato and salt and pepper. Cover with the lid, simmer on low for 1-2 hours or until meat is fork tender.
- When you cook on stovetop watch to make sure the liquid has not evaporated if it does just add a little water. You can also cook in the oven 275 degrees for 1-2 hours until meat is tender.
- I serve with either mashed potato or rice. Garnish with chopped parsley.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner