Author Notes: Being Polish, this was adapted using our popular ingredients over the years. —loubaby
Makes 12 cups
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh fennel, chopped
- 1 pound smoked pork Kielbasa sausage, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 dried bay leaves, crumbled
- 1 pound loaf challah bread, torn (or Polish Babka)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Melt butter in heated large skillet over medium high heat; saute onions, celery and fennel until browned about 12 minutes. Add sausage and garlic; cook 5 minutes. Stir in salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaves and cook 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if challah is not stale, spread out cubes in baking sheet and dry out in 250 oven about 30 minutes, stirring once.
- Combine sausage vegetable mixture with bread and add chicken broth as needed to make a moist but not soggy mixture.
- Fill a 16 lb prepared turkey with stuffing. Cook turkey as directed. Otherwise place stuffing in a roasting pan; cover and bake 350 about an hour until done. Uncover for last 10 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Thanksgiving Stuffing