If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I make these I always double the batch, because they are gobbled up faster than you can say "Southwestern Spiced Sweet Potato Fries." The heat and spice of cumin, chile powder and paprika complement the natural sweetness of the potatoes. I don't peel the sweet potatoes, because the skin adds extra texture and nutrients. The Chili-Cilantro Sour Cream is cooling and fresh, balancing out the kick of the spice and the earthiness of the potatoes. —TasteFood
Food52 Review: The briliance of the sweet potato fry is that with all the sugar in the potatoes, you can really lay on the seasonings. Here, TasteFood has you use chili powder, cumin and cayenne. You might want to double the recipe so you'll feel better about sharing. You'll want to eat the first batch plain and the second tempered with the tangy sour cream sauce. And as we discovered, the hard way, cayenne's heat varies a lot -- start with 1/4 teaspoon and add more if you like. - A&M —The Editors
Southwestern Spiced Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut in large matchsticks/batons approx. 1/4" x 2"
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- Chili-Cilantro Sour Cream (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Toss sweet potatoes and olive oil in a large bowl.
- Combine salt, cumin, chile powder, paprika, pepper and cayenne in a small bowl.
- Add spices to potatoes and toss to coat.
- Arrange potatoes in one layer on baking sheet.
- Bake in oven on lowest rack until undersides are browned, 12-15 minutes. Turn potatoes with a spatula and bake 10 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with Chili-Cilantro Sour Cream.
Chili-Cilantro Sour Cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 heaping tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Combine all the ingredients except the cilantro in a medium bowl and whisk together. Stir in cilantro.
- Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe Contest Winner!