If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Last Chinese New Year I made tea eggs and a black bean, smoked tea pork rib dish. The next day I made egg salad and we served canapes with the egg and a sliver of pork. It was divine and I can't go back to any other kind of egg salad. It would be absurd to make these beautiful eggs just for a salad, so this recipe is for a dozen. Six for enjoying whole and six for making a salad for appetizers. The liquid the eggs steep in can be saved to braise pork ribs that get finished on the grill. Serve the ribs with the eggs, roasted sweet potatoes and sesame kale for a perfect meal. —savorthis
Food52 Review: WHO: savorthis hails from Denver, Colorado and counts front end web design, marketing, and of course, cooking among her talents.
WHAT: A peppery salad with beautiful tea-soaked eggs.
HOW: Cracked eggs soak in smoky Lapsang Souchong tea overnight before folding in the dressing ingredients.
WHY WE LOVE IT: Served on crackers, this salad makes a great cocktail snack. —The Editors
Serves 12 appetizers
- 12 eggs
- 3 cups water
- 3 Lapsang souchong tea bags or 3 T loose
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise pods
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon szechuan peppercorns (black peppercorns work too)
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- rice crackers
- Put eggs in one layer in pot and cover with water. Bring to simmer, turn off heat, cover and let sit 4 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water. Gently crack all over with the back of a spoon enough to make a spider web of cracks, but not break the egg.
- Put eggs back in empty pot, add all ingredients through szechuan peppercorns. Bring to a boil then reduce to the lowest simmer for 30 minutes. Let cool then steep overnight if possible or as long as you can.
- Reduce one cup steeping liquid by half. Mix 3 teaspoons with mayo, green onion and black pepper.
- Carefully peel eggs. Serve six as is with smoked salt and slice and gently fold remaining six with mayo mixture. Or double mayo, admire whole eggs and mix them all. Serve on rice crackers with cilantro and pepper.
- Your Best Mayonnaise-Based Salad Contest Finalist!