If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: what's not to love about chai? it's sweet and spicy and a perfect flavor for cakes of all kinds. use a good quality unsweetened chai tea blend, in bags or the loose equivalent, for the best flavor the cake recipe is easily doubled to make three 8" layers. the frosting recipe can decorate the 36 mini cupcakes or a triple layer cake. —janeofmanytrade
Makes 36 mini cupcakes
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 4 chai tea bags
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup 6tablespoons cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon heaped of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- preheat the oven to 350. line mini muffin pans with paper cups or lightly spray nonstick pans and set aside.
- heat the milk to a simmer and add the teabags (or the tea in an infuser) and steep for at least 5 minutes. when cool enough to handle, squeeze the teabags and measure out 2/3 cup of infused milk. allow the milk to cool completely.
- combine the eggs with the yolk, vanilla and 2 tablespoons of the milk and set aside.
- in the bowl of your mixer, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, spices and salt and mix on low speed for 30 seconds to combine.
- add the butter and the remaining milk to the dry ingredients and mix on low to combine. turn the speed to medium and mix until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. scrape the bowl down and mix it to incorporate.
- add half of the egg mixture on low speed and mix to combine. scrape the bowl and add the rest of the eggs. mix to incorporate.
- using a #40 portion scoop or a spoon, fill 36 cups with the batter and bake until they spring back when touched-12 minutes. allow to cool a minute and then remove them from the pans and cool completely on a rack.
honey-ginger cream frosting
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 6 ounces regular cream cheese
- 1/2 cup pure honey-any type as long as it is liquid
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2-1 teaspoons freshly grated ginger-amount according to your liking
- place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. pulse to combine. scrape the bowl and pulse until smooth. do not over mix or it will be runny.
- place in a piping bag with an open star tip and pipe swirls on top of each cupcake.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Tea
More Great Recipes: Desserts