If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Not only is this one pot dish simple and can feed a crowd, it can do it for under $2 per person. Marinated overnight in a mixture of garlic, achiote, tangerine and spices, the chicken is then roasted on top of a pile of fingerling potatoes and broccoli (organic to boot). The juices from the chicken flavor the veggies while the high oven temperature crisps them in just the right places. Some reserved juice and zest from the tangerines is used to make an aioli for dipping. —savorthis
Food52 Review: I absolutely love this dish. It's super easy to throw together. Let it sit in the fridge, throw it on the pan with your diced veggies, and roast away. I love the addition of the broccoli, and the tangerine gives a nice hint of citrus that hits your tastebuds just when you think you've experienced all the lovely flavors that are packed in. I served this to my roommate, who didn't know about the achiote paste, and she cannot stop gobbling it up and asking "what's that flavor?" I love that you don't need a pot, just a pan, and some patience while it cooks away.The chicken was so tender from the marinating, I didn't even need a knife to cut it. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!! —DeannaMarie
- 2 tablespoons achiote paste
- 3 tangerines, zested and juiced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 8 whole chicken legs (thigh and leg)
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes
- 1 pound broccoli
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- Parsley, for garnish
- Mix achiote paste, garlic, cumin, chili powder, 1/3 cup tangerine juice, and 1 tablespoon zest in a blender. Rub all over chicken (you might want to wear gloves or plastic bags -- otherwise your hands will be yellow) and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oven to 450° F. Wash potatoes well and cut into similar sizes, about 2 inches each. Cut broccoli into large florets. Toss broccoli, potatoes, and onion with a drizzle of olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Place on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish or casserole. Season chicken with salt and pepper and arrange on top of vegetables. Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 30 to 40 minutes until skin is brown and crisp. Take a look after a while to make sure the vegetables are not burning on the bottom.
- Mix 1 tablespoon tangerine juice and 1 teaspoon zest with mayonnaise and chili garlic sauce. Salt if needed and serve on the side.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Pot Meal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast