Author Notes: This recipe comes from Gluten-Free Girl Every Day by Shauna James Ahern and Daniel Ahern. —Amanda Hesser
Sweet Rice Salad
- 2 cups sticky rice
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cooked, shelled edamame
- 1/4 cup Miso-Maple-Ginger Dressing (Recipe Follows)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons umeboshi plum vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown rice miso
- 1 large shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- Making the dressing: Add vinegars, maple syrup, miso, shallot, and ginger in a blender. Turn on the blender and mix until frothy. Add the sesame seeds and salt and blend for one minute more.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil and sesame oil. With the blender running, slowly pour in the combined oils. Turn off the blender and taste the dressing. Do you want a little more acid? Add some more vinegar. A bit smoother taste? Try some more sesame oil.
- Soaking the rice: Rinse the rice in a colander, moving your hand through the rice with the water running. Drain the water completely. Repeat this three times. In a bowl, soak the rice in cold water for at least 1 hour.
- Roasting the salty seeds: Set a large skillet over high heat. When the pan is hot, add the pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. Roast, moving the pan around to prevent burning, for 3 minutes. Add the sesame and chia seeds. Roast in the same manner for 2 minutes. Add the cumin, coriander, and fennel seeds. Roast in the pan, shaking it, for another 2 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add the salt, toss the seeds together, and set aside.
- Cooking the Rice: Drain the rice and put the rice in a microwave-safe bowl. Add enough water to be on the same level with the rice (usually about 1 1/2 cups). Heat in the microwave for 2 minutes, then stop, and stir in the rice. Cook the rice in 2-minute increments until it is soft and fluffy.
- If you don't have a microwave, then you can steam the rice. Fill a large pot with hot water, leaving 3 inches of space before the top of the pot. Put a bamboo steamer, or the metal insert that comes with pasta pots, into the pot. Put the rice in the steamer. Cover with a lid. Steam until the rice is soft and fluffy, about 10 minutes.
- Heating the Edamame: Heat the edamame to piping hot by either putting it in the microwave, or plopping it in a pot of boiling hot water for a couple of minutes and then draining.
- To serve, combine some of the sticky rice and edamame. Toss with the dressing. Top with the salty seeds.