Author Notes: Sweet & Sour Homemade Lemon Drop Candies | SouthernFATTY —Phillip || SouthernFATTY.com
teaspoon cream of tartar
teaspoon lemon extract
teaspoons citric acid
teaspoon yellow gel coloring
cup super-fine sugar (granulated in food processor) or powdered sugar
- Prepare work stations-- sauce-pan, silicone mat/marble/oiled parchment paper on sheet pan, oiled/buttered kitchen shears, oiled/buttered spatula, pan of coating sugar. Have ingredients all measured and ready to incorporate before starting. Sugar isn't very forgiving!
- Heat sugar, water and cream of tartar (prevents crystallization) in stainless steel or copper saucepan over medium/medium-high heat.
- Heat to exactly 300 deg F, using a candy thermometer to verify temperature.
- At 300, immediately remove pan from heat and pour to silicone mat/marble/lined pan.
- Mix in lemon extract, citric acid and a small amount of gel coloring. Incorporate with oiled spatula.
- Using oiled kitchen shears, cut rope into individual pieces. Let fall into pan of coating sugar. This prevents the pieces from sticking to each other.
- Sift excess sugar and allow candy to cool completely. It will harden after some time.
- For the full recipe, please visit: http://southernfatty.com/lemon-drop-candies/