Author Notes: I fell in love with zucchini squash recently and I’ve been coming up with different ways to include them in my meals. This is my low carb lasagna where zucchini ribbons act as pasta. The end result ends up looking a bit messy but it tastes incredibly delicious! —themessimake.com
cups baby spinach
cups bread crumbs
cup grated Parmesan cheese
cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
cups pasta sauce
eggs – whisked
- Pre-heat the oven at 350 F.
- Using a vegetable peeler or a mandolin, cut zucchini ribbons. You can slice them thinly with a knife as well.
- Whisk the egg in a wide bowl.
- Mix bread crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese in a wide bowl.
- Have the remaining ingredients ready to go in bowls.
- Spray the bottom of a glass pan with cooking spray.
- Dip zucchini ribbons in the whisked eggs and take the excess liquid off by swiping your fingers over the zucchini ribbons. Then dip them in bread crumbs and place them in the pan. Repeat until the bottom of the pan is covered and then add another layer of zucchini ribbons.
- Spread 1 cup of baby spinach over the double layer of zucchini ribbons.
- Spread 1/2 cup or more over the spinach layer.
- Sprinkle some mozzarella over the sauce.
- Repeat steps 7-10 for another two layers. You want to end up with the top layer being zucchini ribbons, sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve warm with a slice of bread.