Author Notes: These sammiches give you all the flavor of a comforting pb&j in a delicious handheld cookie treat. Plus, the addition of cinnamon adds a unique twist of flavor. —Jessica Greenberg
Makes: 8 sammiches
cup packed light brown sugar
cup chunky or creamy peanut butter
cups rolled oats
teaspoon baking soda
cup your favorite jelly/jam/preserves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar and peanut butter until they’re happy and fluffy. An electric mixer will probably work best for this step.
- Add the egg and beat until combined.
- Then mix in your oats, baking soda, and cinnamon until everything is cohesive (be one with the cookie dough).
- Drop tablespoonfuls of dough onto the baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Now take the cookie sheet and place it in the refrigerator for 10-20 minutes. This well help the cookies from spreading out too much when they cook.
- Bake for 11 minutes, or until they just barely start to brown on top. It’s okay if they look a little under-cooked, they’ll firm up. This is IMPORTANT. Do not overcook them or they will become crispy and suck. And then you’ll be sad.
- Let the cookies cool for a few minutes, then transfer them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Now, use a knife and spread a generous glop of jelly onto the flat part of one cookie. Then put another cookie on top of it. Congrats my friend, you just made a sammich!
- Repeat this step until you have 8 adorable handheld bites of joy. They taste even better with a glass of milk :)