Author Notes: It’s a Saturday morning(ish) and you manage to crawl out of bed and stumble into your favorite Chinese buffet for lunch. What is better than plates of beige fried food and unlimited sushi for $7.49?
The cream puffs at the end, that’s what. I’m going to show you one of the easiest, best tasting pastry recipes ever. Your thighs will thank me later! —Phillip || SouthernFATTY.com
Pastry Dough / Pâte à Choux
tablespoons butter, unsalted
cup heavy cream
cup mascarpone cheese
cup confectioner's sugar
teaspoons vanilla extract (or 1 2" vanilla bean - pulp)
tablespoons amaretto, optional.... I guess
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Line baking sheet with silicone mat or parchment
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter and water. Bring to low boil over medium high heat.
- Literally dump flour and salt in all at once.
- Stir with wooden spoon until it comes together in a ball.
- Remove from pan to a mixer or food processor. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Pulse/mix each egg until combined.
- Pulse/mix until thick paste/batter.
- Pipe the pastry dough onto mat/paper. Tap down the tip if you want a smooth ball for a puff.
- Bake until golden, about 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Place cold cream in mixer. Beat until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add confectioner's sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Mix in mascarpone cheese and vanilla until well-combined.
- Top with drizzled chocolate and/or desired toppings. Pistachios work very well!
- Enjoy! Visit SouthernFATTY.com for more images/recipes.