Author Notes: I only recently discovered rhubarb. Long stalks of mouth-puckeringly tart fruit streaked green and pink, rhubarb is the epitome of spring- especially when left to mingle with strawberries.
The two fruits are combined, mixed with sugar and left to absorb the sweetness. Then, when they’re softened and juicy, they’re surrounded by a flaky pie dough and topped with a traditional lattice.
What comes out of the oven is a bubbling, fruity pie that will fill your house with an intoxicating scent, and that when topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, says only one thing: spring! —retrochaya
Makes: 1 pie
stalks fresh rhubarb, diced
cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
cup granulated sugar
tablespoons granulated sugar
tablespoons orange juice
cups all purpose flour
sticks butter, chilled and cubed
cup ice water
egg yolk, mixed with water
handfuls raw sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. For the fruit, toss the rhubarb, strawberries, and the 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar in a large bowl. In a measuring cup, dissolve the cornstarch in the orange juice and then mix it into the fruit. Let the mixture sit for fifteen minutes
- By hand, combine the remaining granulated sugar, flour and salt; mix well. Add the butter, and with a pastry cutter, fork, or your hands, work the butter in until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some larger pieces remaining. Slowly drizzle ice water over the mixture in a slow, steady stream. Gather the dough and work it until it holds together without being wet or sticky.
- Turn out dough onto a clean work surface. Divide in half, and place each half on a piece of plastic wrap. Shape into flattened disks. Wrap in plastic, and freeze at least 45 minutes.
- Remove your dough. Then, working gently, roll out one disk of dough into a circle on a floured surface. Transfer dough to pie plate. Fill it with fruit.
- Roll out the second disk and cut into strips. Lattice it on top of the pie. Crimp edges, or simply fold under. Brush with egg and water and sprinkle liberally with raw sugar.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes, until crust is brown. Serve warm or cold with vanilla ice cream.