If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This simple and delicious dish is my go-to summer recipe. The tastes and textures play well off of each other. The chicken can be grilled or baked, and all of the ingredients are perfectly fresh -- the two together make one great taco. —Linda Burkhart
Food52 Review: This is a great mix-up for Taco Tuesday. The slaw was a great combination of all the usual taco fixings. Instead of cooking the corn in the husk, I cut the kernels off the cob and charred them in a cast iron skillet. Some leftover slaw in a warm tortilla made a solid not-sad-desk-lunch. —EmilyS1220
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 5-pound roasting chicken
- 3 limes
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- 3 to 4 ears of fresh corn, husks attached
- 1/2 medium-sized red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, finely sliced
- 6 ounces queso fresca, crumbled
- 12 flour tortillas, warmed
- Sour cream (optional)
- Cilantro (optional)
- Place chicken in roasting pan, or prepare for grilling as you normally would. Generously salt the cavity. Zest the limes, then cut them in half. Gently loosen the skin of the chicken: Start at the neck, work back towards the breast, and then finish at the legs. Push the lime zest under the skin, spreading evenly. Squeeze the lime juice over the chicken and place the squeezed limes in its cavity. Dust chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Place it in a 325° F oven for 1 hour 45 minutes, or grill as you normally would a whole chicken.
- Gently remove the cornsilk from the corn so that the cob can still rest in it's husk. Fill a large bowl or Ziplock bag with icy water and soak the corn for 15 to 20 minutes. Place corn in its husk on a medium-hot grill and cook for 25 minutes, turning as the husks char. Remove from grill and let cool, then remove kernels.
- Place cabbage in a bowl with the corn kernels, sliced green onions, and crumbled queso fresca. Squeeze the juice of the three limes over the mixture. Set aside.
- When chicken is finished cooking, let it cool and then remove meat, discarding the skin and bones. Serve the chicken pieces on a platter next to the corn, cabbage slaw, and warm tortillas.
- To assemble: Place the chicken on a tortilla, add slaw, sour cream, and cilantro (if desired), and roll into a taco or burrito.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Corn