If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've been experimenting since a blood test showed I should go gluten free. Cornbread is such an obvious, easy option, and this one—very loosely adapted from two different Joy of Cooking recipes—is vegan too. This is delicious plain, with honey or agave syrup , jam or marmalade, split and spread with cashew or almond butter or ripe avocado, or crumbled into chili. NOTE: The 8-inch skillet makes a slightly more moist loaf. (You can use a mixer, but why drag it out?) —Antonia AT
Makes one 8 or 10-inch skillet
teaspoons cocounut oil
teaspoon salt for skillet
cup corn flour
cup shredded unsweetened coconut
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoons salt (less to taste)
cup coconut or almond milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place rack in center position.
- Put coconut oil and 1/2 tsp salt into skillet. Place skillet in oven while it preheats.
- Put all dry ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Put milk into a 2-cup (or +) measure and add egg. Whisk together.
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and whisk together briskly.
- Remove skillet from oven and add cornbread mixture. (It will sizzle, which is what makes it crispy.) Return to oven.
- Bake 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place skillet on cooling rack.
- It can be cut hot, so devour!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Corn