If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by Food52's TASTEFOOD's amazing recipe with a gingered puree. I used fresh herbs in the puree and mini scallops, which we already had on hand. (This would be ideal with jumbo sea scallops) Topped with a fresh parsley gremolata made for a beautiful eye-pleasing dinner. I reduced the ingredients for the gremolata as it made quite a lot. Easy to prepare for a week night date night! The texture and balance of flavor was a party in my mouth! For a extra *umph* add crumbled crispy pancetta on top. Can't go wrong —Stacy
Scallops and Herb Pea Puree
- 2 cups fresh shelled peas, or frozen peas
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon minced herbs such as mint, basil, chervil, or tarragon
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 12 jumbo/diver sea scallops or 3/4-1 lb of mini scallops
- extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup (loose) parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For the Pea Puree: Heat oil in pan on med-low. Cook shallots and garlic for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Be careful not to burn the garlic!
- Add the peas and broth/water. Bring to a simmer on med-high then reduce to medium-low. Cover and cook until peas are tender, 5-8 minutes. For frozen peas 3-4 minutes until bright green.
- Transfer all ingredients into a blender and puree until desired puree consistency. I prefer a most rustic puree, not as smooth. So feel free to blend as much or as little as you want. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste. Add EVOO if you want a thinner-richer consistency. Place in a heated bowl and set aside to stay warm.
- For the Scallops: Pat and dry scallops. Season generously with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a dry pan until HOT (med-high). Add scallops a few at a time, in batches; avoid crowding the pan. Sear, turning once, until golden brown on each side; 2-4 minutes per side for jumbo scallops. 2-3 minutes for mini scallops. Transfer to a plate and finish the rest of the batch.
- For the Gremolata: Combine all gremolata ingredients including salt and pepper into a food processor to combine. You can add additional 1/2-1 clove of garlic as desired.
- To assemble: Portion out the warmed puree onto large plates. Arrange the scallops on top of the puree. Lightly sprinkle with gremolata (and crispy pancetta). Finish off with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Option - Pancetta: Heat oven to 375F. Place pancetta on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, 10-12 minutes. Set aside to cool before crumbling.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff