- Makes 18 cookies
These cookies are wonderful! Soft & chewy from the bulgur .. with lots of flavor. Who knew sweet potatoes could be so good?
~ Adapted from Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions Cookbook —VeggiesByCandlelight
What You'll Need
cooked sweet potatoes (** or about 2 medium)
fine-ground bulgur (or bulgur flour)
- STEAM THE SWEET POTATOES
- Peel & cut the sweet potatoes into ½" slices
- Fill bottom of steamer with 2 inches of water When the steam has built up .. add the sweet potato slices and steam for 5-7 minutes
- Transfer to a bowl .. let cool .. and mash.
- TOAST THE PECANS
- In a small saucepan .. over low to medium heat .. melt 1 tsp coconut oil
- Add the pecans and cook 2-3 minutes until they are slightly toasted, stirring frequently to make sure they don't burn
- Transfer to a small bowl and let cool completely
- MAKE THE COOKIE DOUGH
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor (reserving ¼ cup of the raisins & toasted pecans). Process until well blended.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl & fold in the remaining raisins & toasted pecans.
- For best results, chill at least overnight in the refrigerator (72 hours is best) .. though they can easily be made right-away
- Pre-heat oven to 325
- On baking day .. form the dough into into walnut-sized balls & bake for 5 minutes. Lightly press the cookies down with the back of a fork.
- Bake another 15 minutes .. or until their edges have set
- Let cool on the baking sheet 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Let them cool completely before storing in the refrigerator (or freezer) in an airtight container.