If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It’s summer. It’s no secret that the farmer’s market is overflowing with juicy fruits, delicious vegetables and fragrant herbs. What to do next? Get your tushie over to the market and make the tastiest pie you can dream up. —Sophia Amodeo
Makes 1 pie
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, very cold
- 1/3-1/2 cups water, ice cold
Blueberry Basil Pie Filling
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chiffonade
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees To make the crust, combine the dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse until incorporated. Cut the butter into chunks and add into dry ingredients. Pulse until the butter is just pea-sized. Dump the mixture into a large bowl and add the water slowly until the dough forms together. The dough shouldn’t be too sticky nor too dry. Add more water if needed. Divide into two equal parts, wrap in plastic and let sit in refrigerator for at least an hour.
- In a bowl, combine blueberries, basil, sugar, flour, and lemon zest. Stir to combine. Set aside. On a floured surface roll your pie dough out to fit a 9″ pie tin with overhang. Transfer the dough to the pan and gently situate. Pour the blueberry filling into the shell.
- Roll out the other half of the pie dough to create the top layer for the pie (any top layer will do- cross hatching, cut outs, etc). Add the top layer and crimp the edges to seal. Brush the top layer with an egg wash and sprinkle sugar evenly on top. Reduce heat to 400 and bake in a 400 degree oven for 40-45 minutes or until the crust is evenly browned
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Berry Recipe