If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This uses the Craft cookbook method for making blueberry compote combining cooked and raw berries, then dumps it into very richly appointed oatmeal. I used Maypo instant (heaven forbid I get a little nostalgic for my childhood) but you can use any kind. I know its summer and this feels like a winter breakfast, but it could also swap for dessert, it's that rich. —Ivorygalny
Serves 2 people who can basically eat dessert for breakfast
- 2 cups blueberries, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups milk or water
- 3/4 cup Maypo instant oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Make the compote: In a small saucepan combine 1 cup of berries, sugar, lemon, cinnamon and maple syrup. Bring to a simmer on moderate heat and cook for 3-5 minutes, until berries release their juices. Add the remaining cup of berries and mix gently. Turn off the heat and let sit while you make the oatmeal.
- Make the oatmeal according to your preference, either on the stove or in the microwave. When it is cooked, put it in your serving bowl. First stir in the butter, top with brown sugar and heavy cream. Top with 1/4 cup of compote. (Save the rest for more oatmeal, ice cream, cake. . .)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Berry Recipe