If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: THIS RECIPE TAKES AN OLD SCHOOL FAVORITE TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL BY KICKING GRILLED WHITE BREAD AND KRAFT SINGLES TO THE WAYSIDE. FOR A GRILLED CHEESE THAT IS JUST AS COMFORTING AS THE ONE YOU GREW UP EATING, BUT THAT IS EXCEPTIONALLY MORE DECADENT AND DELICIOUS, THE KEY IS SIMPLE YET HIGH-QUALITY INGREDIENTS. —Jill Haapaniemi
- 2 roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Salt and pepper, as needed
- 1 head garlic
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 300⁰F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss tomatoes with 2 teaspoons of the oil and the maple syrup; season witih salt and pepper. Arrange tomatoes on parchment. Peel off loose outer layers of garlic skin; cut a 1/4-inch off the top to expose individual cloves. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon of oil, wrap in foil, and place on parchment. Roast until edges of the tomatoes just begin to brown, about 2 hours. Remove from heat, unwrap garlic, and set aside to cool.
- In a medium skillet, heat the remainins 1 teaspoon of oil over medium-high heat. When hot, crack eggs and slowly pour whites and yolk onto the hottest part of the skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until whites are set. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Squeeze garlic head to release cloves into a small bowl; mash into a paste. Spread on one side of each slice of bread; spread the other side with butter. In sam skillet over medium-high heat, place bread slices buttered side down. Divide cheese evenly among each slice and allow to melt.
- When cheese has melted, remove cheesey bread to a serving plate. Arrange tomato slices on one of the bread slices; season with salt. Top with eggs and remaining slice of bread. Press down so that the egg yolk pops. Cut in half and eat immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe