If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These perfectly bite-sized, open-faced (or not) canapés are a posh cross between oatcakes and blinis and are certain to cultivate civilized discussion about Downton Abbey, Poldark, Outlander and the like.
As they say, 2016 is the year where seaweed reigns supreme. —Jessica Volz
Makes about 50 50-pence sized 'oatinis'
For the 'oatinis'
- 1/4 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 1 tablespoon St. Germain (or Elderflower Vodka)
- 3-4 tablespoons Kelp caviar for generous dotting
- For the oatinis, whisk together oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine sugar, milk, yogurt, lemon juice, egg, melted butter and St. Germain.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet until combined. Allow the batter to sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat ½ tablespoon melted butter in a sauté pan and spoon the batter in teaspoon portions. Cook 2 minutes on one side, then flip and cook an additional minute (or until browned).
- Remove from pan and set on a serving plate. Repeat until all the batter is used.
- 1 1/2 cups soft goat cheese
- Scottish salmon lox drizzled with St. Germain (or Elderflower Vodka)
- Kelp caviar and organic elderflowers or a sprig of cress (optional)
- Serve Lemony Elderflower Salmon Oatinis with a dollop of goat cheese, a small square of smoked salmon (preferably Scottish) and a sprinkling of Kelp caviar and, should you choose, a sprig of elderflowers or cress.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Salmon
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Appetizer to Share with Friends
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for the Shore
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe