Author Notes: Have you ever tried or prepared fresh homemade almond milk? If not, today you will learn how easy it is and which are its health benefits. Basically, almond milk is an excellent raw vegan alternative to dairy milk. With a silky and delicate texture and nutty flavor this all-natural milk is healthy, delicious and unprocessed. This milk substitute is produced by finely grinding almond with water so it involves only two ingredients. It's versatile and can be used in different recipes and it's delicious on its own or with smoothies, cereals and desserts. —Valentina Lebu
Makes: 1 l (1 quart)
cups raw almonds
cups water, plus more for soaking
desired flavorings and sweeteners (vanilla extract, cinnamon, maple syrup, honey or agave syrup)
- Place almonds in a bowl and cover with 1-inch cold water. Soak them, uncovered, overnight or up to two days.
- Drain the almonds from the soaking water and rinse them under cool running water.
- Place 2 cups of almonds in the blender and cover with 2 cups of water. Blend at the highest speed for 2 minutes. At this point the water should be white and opaque.
- Strain the mixture thru a cheese cloth, kitchen towel or sprout bag.
- Rinse the blender and pour the milk back in. Add the desired flavorings and sweeteners and blend to combine
- Repeat steps 3 to 6 with the rest of the almonds.
- Pour the milk into a glass jar or pitcher and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serve almond milk on its own or enjoy it with cookies, cereal or smoothies.