Here's a small quiz that you should take before making this pasta recipe:
1. Are you hungry?
2. Are you hungry for carbs? Lots and lots of carbs?
3. Do you have about 20 minutes to spare?
4. Would you like to eat a pasta that does not mess around?
5. Do you feel that you yourself do not mess around, and are thus prepared to get a fairly serious cream mushroom garlic wine situation on the fast track to your mouth?
6. When cooking with wine, are you interested in using some for the dish and then drink some just on the side, for yourself? Will you at least humor that idea?
7. Are you definitely 100% not on a diet?
If you answered yes to all of these questions, then perhaps you are my soulmate. If you answered yes to even one of them, I know what you need to make for dinner. And it's right here below.
You just go for this kind of thing, you know? You just say, oh, a whole cup of heavy cream? And some butter? AND a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese? Yeah ok, I can do that, I can dig that, I can whip that up and inhale that and then dream about it later. And you might question the balsamic vinegar. Please don't, and try not to use a substitute, it really helps tie this dish together. You won't regret it. This is officially what we call No Regrets Pasta. Enjoy it! —Kendra Vaculin
- Prep time 5 minutes
- Cook time 30 minutes
- Serves 2
(½ box) pasta—I used those lil' spiraly ones because I like those, but fettuccini would give this a stroganoff vibe
portobello mushrooms, chopped
garlic cloves, minced
dry white wine
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Finely grated Parmesan, for serving
- Prepare the pasta according to the package directions. You know how to make pasta. You’re very smart.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes, allowing the 'shrooms to cook down until they're browned and fragrant.
- Add the wine, cream, broth, and vinegar and bring to a boil. Let boil for about 10 minutes, until the sauce has thickened to your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the pasta between bowls. Pour the sauce over. Sprinkle with the Parmesan, then gobble.