If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A nourishing seasonal salad with bright flavors and brighter colors. Cabbage, known for its immune-boosting and anti-bacterial properties has been shown to inhibit the growth of cancerous cells, protect against tumors, regulate hormone levels, and is a rich source of fiber, vitamin A, and sulfur. This quick vegan slaw exemplifies perfect balance, highlighting the crisp freshness of raw vegetables while featuring a crispy and warming assortment of mushrooms and potato. I serve my confetti slaw cold over ½ cup sticky brown rice topped with a generous helping of kimchi, avocado, and an extra squeeze of lemon.
Nutritional Information [per serving = about 1 ½ cups]
225 Calories, 32g Carbohydrates, 10g Fat, 4.5g Protein, 6.4g Fiber, 9.6g Sugar —Alexandra Dawson
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- 3 small sweet potatoes (about 1 ½ pounds), cubed
- 1/2 pound mushrooms of choice, sliced
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 head purple cabbage (about 1 pounds), shredded
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into fine strips
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- juice of 1 lemon (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat sesame oil over medium-high heat until just hot. Add sweet potato and sauté, stirring occasionally, until golden and fork tender (about 12 minutes). Using a slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to paper towel lined plate to cool, ensuring the majority of oil remains in skillet.
- Add mushrooms to skillet and continue to sauté until mushrooms are just cooked through and crispy (an additional 4-5 minutes). Stir in rice vinegar and soy sauce, remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, in a large serving bowl toss sweet potato, mushrooms with all liquids, cabbage, carrots, cilantro, and mint. Top with sesame seeds and lemon juice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0