Baked potato soup is an easy and inexpensive dish that serves up loads of comfort. Leave out the cheddar cheese and half & half at the end for a vegan version that's just as tasty. This recipe was written by the Healthline Editorial Team: http://www.healthline.com/health-recipes/baked-potato-soup-crunchy-potato-skins
Baked potato soup is an easy and inexpensive dish that serves up loads of comfort. Leave out the cheddar cheese and half & half at the end for a vegan version that's just as tasty. This recipe was written by the Healthline Editorial Team: http://www.healthline.com/health-recipes/baked-potato-soup-crunchy-potato-skins—Healthline
large baking potatoes
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
stalks celery, chopped
cups vegetable broth or water
cup half & half
green onions, sliced thin (optional)
shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F and pierce the potatoes several times with a fork or knife. Bake for 1 hour, remove from the oven, and allow to cool.
- When you pull the potato out of the oven, begin the soup. Add 1 tbsp olive oil into a large soup pot and pile in the celery and onions. Sweat the vegetables over medium heat until just soft. Pour in the broth or water and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise (making sure that the skins stay intact) and scoop the potato from its skin and add into the soup pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush the potato skins with the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Pop into the oven (400°F) and roast just to crisp them, about 10 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or transfer to a stand blender and puree. Add the half & half, stir, and taste. Adjust seasoning with salt and white pepper.
- Serve with green onions and cheddar cheese (for your guests to add as they like) and one crispy potato skin.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0