If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
This is a dairy and refined sugar free recipe that retains the light crumb and coconut flavour of traditional coconut bread. If you can, try to find virgin coconut oil that still tastes strongly of coconut.
This is a dairy and refined sugar free recipe that retains the light crumb and coconut flavour of traditional coconut bread. If you can, try to find virgin coconut oil that still tastes strongly of coconut.—Alexandra | Occasionally Eggs
Makes: 1 loaf
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/4 cup shredded dried coconut (unsweetened)
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1 overripe banana, mashed with a fork
- Preheat your oven to 350F/180C and grease a standard bread tin with coconut oil or line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, coconut, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, and coconut sugar.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a medium sized bowl. Add the coconut milk, vanilla, banana, and coconut oil. Try to add the coconut oil at the last minute because it will quickly solidify once it's mixed into the cold ingredients.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients and mix just to combine. Spoon the mixture into the bread tin and level it. Bake for one hour or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. Cool in the tin for five minutes before placing on a cooling rack.
- Once the bread is entirely cool, wrap it in tin foil or plastic wrap and leave it overnight before eating it. You can eat it fresh but it's so much better if you let it sit over night. My eggs have a deeply yellow yolk and make the bread quite yellow, so yours may look a little different. This bread freezes fabulously, and it might even be better after it's been frozen!