If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Leftover rice. As good as I’ve become at cooking it, storing it, re-using it, and just eating it in practically any form; it gets boring. It gets bland. It needs help. Suffice to say, my rice kick has lasted almost the whole winter. These patties change things up with the citrus flavors of spring and summer. —Michael
Makes 2 patties
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- 2 1/2 cups Soaked, cooked, cooled brown rice
- 2 teaspoons Lime Zest
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 teaspoons Black Pepper
- 5 tablespoons Cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Pickled Carrots
- 2 teaspoons Soy Sauce
- 3 teaspoons Red / Rice wine vinegar blend
- Pickled cucumbers and onions for Garnish
- In medium mixing bowl beat eggs, red and black pepper together with salt. Add a few teaspoons of water; more if the mixture seems thick.
- Combine add-ins with egg mixture. Meats, other vegetables like scallions, zucchini, etc before you
- combine rice with egg mixture thoroughly. Refrigerate for half an hour, covered.
- Prepare two to four sheets of food-wrap. Spoon even amounts between each of the sheets and form into evenly-sized balls. Refrigerate 10-45 minutes.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat until hot.
- Drop rice-balls from plastic wrap into hot oil in a very large skillet one at a time, and flatten with a spatula to 1/2 - 1/3 inches thick. Do not crowd the patties.
- After fifteen minutes or so, the bottom of the patties will start to turn color; flip and press again pushing all the oil down to the bottom.
- As pancakes brown, top with lime zest and juice, one at a time.
- Continue turning and pressing until both sides of the cake have browned. Warm plates in the oven; or lay them over the hot pan while the rice cooks, be sure to wipe the moisture from the plates if you warm them over the food.
- When the plates are hot, remove the rice cakes and kill the heat in the pan; and drop tomatoes, cilantro and pickled carrots in to heat them up.
- Just as the vegetable mixture comes to heat, serve. Garnish with more pickled vegetables, a dab of soy sauce and some red/rice wine blend.