Author Notes: This recipe came about when I decided I needed a way to combine my two Summertime obsessions......mangoes and Key Lime Pie. I adapted my Dad's recipe for Key Lime Pie and, because I love a good Graham Cracker Crust, I decided to reserve some extra crust to bake and use as a crunchy topping for my pie. The resulting pie is tart, creamy and everything I could ever want in a Summer dessert.
Note: if you can't find Key Limes, this pie is equally delicious when made with Persian Limes. —Kristine Hinterkopf
Makes: one 9-inch pie
Graham Cracker and Toasted Pecan Crust
ounces graham crackers
cup granulated sugar
cup pecans, toasted
tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Mango Key Lime Filling
large egg yolks
teaspoon key lime zest
14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
cup mango puree (about half a large mango pureed in the blender)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a small baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat and set aside.
- To make the crust, place the graham crackers and sugar into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the graham crackers are finely ground. Once the graham crackers are ground, add in the toasted pecans and pulse until the pecans are coarsely chopped. Then add in the melted butter and process until the mixture is evenly moistened and resembles damp sand.
- Measure out ⅓ cup of the graham cracker mixture and spread evenly on the prepared baking sheet (this is going to become the yummy, crunchy topping for your pie). Bake for about 8 minutes (stirring every once in a while) or until the crumbs are nicely golden and toasted.
- Pour the remaining graham cracker mixture into a 9-inch pie pan and press evenly into the bottom and sides of the pan to form the crust. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the crust is set and golden.
- To make the filling, place the egg yolks and lime zest in a large bowl. Using either a hand or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks and zest on high-speed until thick and shiny (about 3 to 4 minutes). With the mixer still running, slowly add in the sweetened condensed milk and beat until the mixture is very thick (another 3 to 5 minutes). Reduce the mixer speed to low and add in the lime juice and mango puree and beat only until just combined.
- Pour the filling into the hot crust and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the filling has just set. Place the hot pie on a wire rack and let cool to room temperature. Once cool, place the pie in the fridge and let chill for at least one hour before serving. When your pie is all nice and cold, cut into slices and serve with a big dollop of unsweetened whipped cream and lots of the super awesome crunchy graham cracker topping.