If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This bright salad sparkles with contrasts. I combined a fresh mango salsa served by friend with a recipe by Madhur Jaffrey (World-of-the East Vegetarian Cooking) for little snack salads of diced sweet fruit with cayenne. Salty tomatoes and sweet, silky mangoes are deliciously addictive. You can sub any crunchy raw vegetable for the cucumbers and radishes..
This makes a delicious complement to simply-prepared chicken or fish. —creamtea
Serves 2-3 as a side dish
- 2 champagne (Ataulfo) or other smallish mangoes, diced
- 2 Persian cucumbers, diced
- 1 clove shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 10-12 grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 key limes, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- salt to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne or Aleppo pepper, or about 1/4 finely minced fresh Fresno chili pepper (start with a little, adding more to taste as desired)
- 1 dash ground sumac
- 1 handful (small) minced cilantro, (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons pistachio nuts, shelled
- In a small bowl, combine diced mango, cucumbers, shallot, radish, and tomatoes. (To dice mangos, slice off the two "cheeks" about 1/4" off center, score the flesh in a crisscross pattern with a small sharp knife and scoop the dice out with a spoon; pare off the skin around the flat seed and carefully remove as much additional flesh from the seed as possible).
- Squeeze lime juice over, season to taste with honey, salt, cayenne,Aleppo or fresh Fresno chili pepper, and a sprinkle of ground sumac. Stir to distribute; taste and adjust seasoning; as mangoes vary in sweetness, you may need to add more honey, salt or lime juice.
- Sprinkle pistachios over, garnish with a little minced cilantro if desired, and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Thing You Ate This Year
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Tomato Showstopper