If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This salad is a staple in my family. I use different vegetable at times. I have added roasted nuts. —Sunnycovechef
- 1 cup french lentils
- 3 or more cups water
- 3 sprigs small sprigs of thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 3/4 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 celery rib , diced
- 8 ounces soft goat cheese
- ½ -1 teaspoons freshly ground pepper to taste
- coarse sea salt to sprinkle over the salad
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- ¼ cups walnut oil
- ¼ cups chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 peeled and minced shallot
- Rinse the lentils well in a sieve under running water and put them with the thyme, garlic, bay leaves, the carrot, water and 1 tsp of salt in a saucepan. Add additional water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Decrease the heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Add the diced carrots and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Do not overcook, as the lentils should still have a light crunch.
- While the lentils are cooking, make the dressing . Whisk together the mustard and vinegar in a bowl. Whisk in the oil to emulsify. Add the shallots and fresh tarragon.
- Drain the lentils well, discarding the thyme branches, the garlic, the whole carrot and the bay leaves. Combine the dressing with the warm lentils , mixing well, and let it cool to room temperature. Stir occasionally.
- When ready to serve, add the chives and the celery. Add additional vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. Add the goat cheese and sprinkle with coarse French sea salt.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad