If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Butter Paneer Masala is a rich entre made with Indian cheese and a creamy sauce. This dish is tasty when served over white rice or with Naan or Tandoori Roti. This dish is also served for wedding in Goa —Merlin Fernandes
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 lb. paneer (cubed)
- 1 green chili
- 1/4 inch piece ginger
- 1/2 cup green peas (optional)
- 1/2 cup yogurt, whipped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch)
- 2 bay leaves (tajpat)
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (Green coriander)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Deep-fry the paneer on low-medium heat until the paneer has a little golden- brown color. Set aside.
- Blend tomatoes, green chilly and ginger to make a puree.
- Add hing and cumin seeds.
- After the cumin seeds crack, add the tomato puree, coriander powder, turmeric, red chili powder and bay leaves. Cook for about 4 minutes on medium heat.
- Tomato mixture will start to leave the oil and will reduce to about half in quantity.
- Add the whipped yogurt into the gravy. Stir occasionally for about 3 minutes on medium heat.
- To thicken the gravy, dissolve the cornstarch in 3 tablespoons of water and add to the gravy.
- Add the green peas and paneer. Let it cook for a few minutes until the peas are tender.
- Add the garam masala and cilantro. Add a little sugar if the gravy is sour.
More Great Recipes: Breakfast & Brunch