If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The combination of pea pesto, crunchy vegetables and Manchego cheese is out of this world. To top it off, the scallions add a nice spicy touch. It is the perfect addition to a summer soiree. —CaliZona
Pea Chevre Pesto
- 1/2 cup Fresh Pea Pods - shelled
- 1/4 cup Raw Walnuts
- 1/4 cup Chevre Cheese
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1/4 Sea Salt
- 1 Fennel Bulb
- 1/2 cup Fennel Stalks – thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup French Breakfast Radishes – thinly sliced or regular – thinly sliced and quartered
- 3/4 cup Pea Chevre Pesto
- 1 Wedge Manchego – shavings
- 1 French Baguette – 20 slices
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil – or as needed
- to taste Scallion Micro Sprouts or Scallion Onions (thinly sliced) – to taste
- Start by making the pesto.
- Remove peas from the pods and measure. In a food processor or blender; add the peas, measure and add all other ingredients, puree until smooth and set aside.
- Cut the stalks off the fennel bulb, then cut the bulb in half and cut out the core. Cut the fennel bulb into 8 wedges, thinly slice and add to a medium size bowl. Slice the fennel stalks into thin slices, measure and add to the bowl. Thinly slice the radish and add to bowl. (If using regular radishes, thinly slice and quarter). Add the pesto to the fennel and mix well.
- Slice the bread into 1/2 inch slices. Place on to baking sheet and with a pastry brush, coat both sides with olive oil. (or use your fingers) Put on the top shelf of your oven and broil for 1 minute on each side. Make sure to watch them closely, they can burn fast. I usually put the timer on but still check on them. You want them just golden.
- Turn oven to 350 degrees. Scoop up a tablespoon of the salad and spread onto the crostinis and place them on a baking sheet. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the manchego into slices, two for each crostini and put into the oven for 3 – 4 minutes to melt the cheese. I check on them every minute. Top them with the micro scallion sprouts or scallion slices.