If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Seven spice powder, or what is commonly known as shichimi togarashi in Japan, pairs perfectly with grilled meats, noodles and soups. Freshly ground orange peel provides a citrusy aroma, while seaweed adds an oceanic flavor. Freshly ground ginger, black peppercorns, and toasted black & white sesame seeds add layers of flavor to make a complex marinade in this grilled pork tenderloin dish.
Pork is by far the most popular type of meat in Japan- consumed nearly as much as chicken and beef combined. But it wasn't always this way. The ban on meat began in the mid sixteenth century and is thought to be due to the rise of Buddhism at the time. This ban lasted over 1,200 years and was lifted in the late 1800's, with the rise of foreign trade among countries. —RawSpiceBar
- 1 pound RawSpiceBar's Shichimi Togarashi 2 whole pork tenderloins,
- 1/3 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 2 pieces garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 pinch lime, juiced Salt to season
- Trim pork tenderloin of any excess skin and fat.
- Combine shichimi togarashi spices, 2 tsp salt, sesame oil, garlic, soy sauce and mirin in a bowl. Pour 3/4 of the marinade in bowl with pork tenderloin and marinate for 6-12 hours, turning halfway through.
- Place remaining marinade in a covered container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove tenderloin from bag, let sit at room temperature. Turn grill over medium-high heat, brush with vegetable oil.
- Add tenderloin to grill and place in center of grate. Discard bag with marinade. Cover and cook 12-15 minutes, turning every 1-2 minutes until tenderloin reaches an internal temperature of 140 F degrees.
- Remove tenderloin from grill and place on a large piece of heavy aluminum foil, folded at the edges. Pour on reserved marinade. Wrap tightly and let rest for 10 minutes. Move to a cutting board and slice.
- Serve alongside spicy gomasio soba noodles and enjoy!