Makes: 10 to 12 cups
cups water, divided
cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Cut the vanilla beans down the center and scrape out the seeds using the back of a knife. Add the seeds and the pods themselves to a large saucepan.
- To the saucepan, add the sugar and 2 cups water. Bring the mixture to a boil and let simmer for 5 minutes. Give the mixture a stir every now and again to break up the seeds.
- Let this cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until ready to use.
- The simple syrup will keep, covered in the refrigerator, for 3 weeks. (You can use this in iced coffee, or add sparkling water for vanilla soda. To that, add a splash of cream for a cream soda or a scoop of ice cream for a float!)
- Add the freshly squeezed lemon juice to about 2 1/2 cups of the vanilla bean simple syrup along with the remaining 6 cups of water. Taste and adjust the lemonade to your liking.
- Serve with plenty of ice.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!