If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For those of us with a health conscious sweet tooth bigger than the day is long (me!), today I couldn’t be more excited to share The Life Changing Slice: Raw Chocolate Caramel Pie – your new favorite dessert. Because I always have a hankering for something extra sweet and special, this raw vegan pie is made with antioxidant rich cacao, sinfully sticky medjool dates, pure maple syrup, and coconut milk. With three distinct layers, from a sweet and salty cashew based crust, a creamy caramel maple middle, and an ultra rich, almost fudge like chocolate topping, this pie couldn’t be simpler. Requiring only minutes of preparation and an afternoon to freeze up to life changing perfection, I serve my Raw Chocolate Caramel Pie with a mug of black coffee and a melty dollop of coconut ice cream. —Alexandra Dawson
Makes 16 slices
- 2 1/2 cups cups raw cashews, soaked overnight, divided
- 12 medjool dates (about 6 oz), pits removed
- 1/2 teaspoon himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, liquid at room temperature, divided
- 7 tablespoons pure maple syrup, divided
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/3 cup raw Cacao Powder
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- In a food processor blended with an S blade, pulse 1 cup soaked cashews, dates, and seal salt until the cashews are thoroughly crushed and the mixture holds together. Transfer to a parchment lined pie pan and smooth out to evenly distribute. (I cut the parchment paper into a circle the size of the bottom of the pie pan to ensure the pie was smooth!). Rinse food processor.
- In the same (now clean) food processor fitted with an S blade, pulse remaining 1 ½ cups soaked cashews, ¼ cup coconut oil, 4 tablespoons maple syrup, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until very smooth (think nut butter consistency). Pour over crust, smooth out to evenly distribute, then transfer pie to freezer to harden (about 1 hour).
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together remaining ¼ cup coconut oil, 3 tablespoons maple syrup, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, cacao, and coconut milk until very smooth. Once pie has hardened, pour chocolate mixture over the pie, smooth out to evenly distribute, then transfer pie back to the freezer to finish hardening (a minimum of two hours).
- Remove pie from freezer, allow pie to slightly defrost, and slice into 16 even slices. Serve and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dried Fruit
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Thing You Ate This Year
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert