If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Garam Masala is derived from the words for “hot” or intense and “spice blend”. It is traditionally from Northern India where the spice was used to warm the body and metabolism during the winter.
When I get my RawSpiceBar spice blends each month I use them to hold up my end of the “mandatory roommate family style dinner” contract. This is a fun time to catch up but also the only time we eat real food with most other meals alternating between healthy but boring steamed chicken and broccoli or fried bits in a takeaway box. I always try and make the “family” meals enjoyable for myself and my flat mates. This month I got Punjabi Garam Masala and Rose & Chai blends and I immediately thought “yay let’s make chicken tikka masala!” But some of my less adventurous roommates thought “that’s going to be way too spicy for me!”
Picky eaters are hard to please, mostly because short of playing the toddler game where you zoom the food into their mouths like an airplane, it’s hard to get people to try new things. Luckily, dinner attendance is mandatory.
The RawSpiceBar Punjabi Garam Masala has a rich spice flavor but is not overly spicy, you can always add hot red pepper if you like fire or more cinnamon if your family has a sweet tooth. Garam Masala is typically more sweet than spicy. To combat my flatmates pickiness I made an appetizer that they had all had in some variation before – garam masala deviled eggs. —RawSpiceBar
- RawSpiceBar's Garam Masala Spice
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Slice peeled, hard boiled eggs in half lengthwise, removing yolks to a bowl, and placing halved whites on a serving platter.
- Mash yolks into a fine crumble using a fork. Add RawSpiceBar’s Garam Masala Spices (leave pinch for sprinkling at the end), mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper, and mix well.
- Evenly disperse heaping teaspoon of yolk mixture into egg white shells. Sprinkle with remaining RawSpiceBar’s Garam Masala Spices and serve.