If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Celebrations always call for chocolate. This 6 Layer Chocolate Cake with Marshmallow Filling is perfect treat for a celebration party with your friends. —RecipesnFood
- 2 /12 cups 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup 1 tablespoon Cocoa powder (I used Ghirardelli)
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups strong black coffee, hot
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 16 large white marshmallows
- 1 cup powdered confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste (I used Nielson Madagascar) or pure vanilla extract
- 7.5 ounces Marshmallow Fluff
- 1 pound butter (4 sticks), at room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 3/4 cup Ovaltine Classic (brown in color)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 8 ounces semisweet or dark chocolate, melted and cooled (I used a combination of both)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350oF. Grease and line three 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper. Grease parchment and set aside. Sift together all the dry ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the wet ingredients using a whisk. Mix the dry ingredients on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the mixer and add the wet ingredients. Mix for 2 minutes on medium speed and scrape the sides and bottom of bowl. Mix for additional minute on medium speed.
- Cool cakes in pan on wire racks for 20 minutes. Gently invert onto rack to cool completely. Meanwhile you could start on the filling and frosting.
- Preheat oven to broil. Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place the marshmallows on the lined sheet and place on the lowest rack of oven. Broil marshmallows until brown, about 30-60 seconds. Keep an eye on them as they burn really fast.
- Remove pan from oven and turn the marshmallows over. Broil until golden brown, another 30-60 seconds. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and icing sugar on low until combined, about 1 minute. Add vanilla and increase speed to medium and beat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the marshmallow fluff and toasted marshmallows and mix on lowest speed for 1 minute, just until combined.
- Beat the icing sugar and butter on low speed for about 1 minute in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Add the malt powder, vanilla and salt and beat on low speed for about 2 minutes until well combined. Add the cooled chocolate and beat for additional 2 minutes on medium speed until smooth. Add whipping cream and beat on medium-high for an additional minute or two.
- Slice each cake in half horizontally to yield six cake layers. On a cake stand or 8-inch cake board, place the first layer face-up and cover with a third of the toasted marshmallow filling. Place another cake layer face-up and cover with malted chocolate frosting. Repeat until you come to your final layer, which you will place face-down.
- Frost the entire outside of cake with a thin layer ‘crumb coat’ of frosting. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Frost with remaining frosting to create a smooth finish. Decorate and style as desired.