Author Notes: This delicate, nutty cake is similar to a basic yellow cake but most of the flour is replaced with graham cracker crumbs. Adapted from an old Nabisco recipe, it tastes exactly like a graham cracker in cake form. The frosting recipe pictured is sdebrango's Whipped Chocolate Caramel Ganache, found here on Food52: https://www.google.com... —Posie (Harwood) Brien
Makes: two 8-inch round layers
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 25 min
cup all-purpose flour
cups graham cracker crumbs (from about 20 squares)
teaspoons baking powder
cup unsalted butter, softened
teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease two 8-inch round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, and baking powder and set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating between each addition.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture and the milk a little bit at a time, alternating between each. Mix thoroughly but be careful not to overbeat.
- Divide the batter evenly between your two prepared pans. Bake for about 25 minutes (or until golden brown and starting to pull away from the sides of the pans).
- Cool in the pans for at least 15 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely before frosting and assembling.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!