If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Everyone needs a spectacular banana bread recipe. And this is it. (Adapted from Smitten Kitchen) —Sam
Makes 1 - 9 x 5 inch loaf cake
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 4 large, very ripe bananas
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 extra large egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- Place a baking rack in the center of a conventional oven and preheat it to 350 F. Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan and set aside.
- Begin by melting the butter and letting it cool while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, molasses, beaten egg, and vanilla extract. Peel the bananas and break them up into large chunks as you add them to the bowl. Add the melted butter and combine everything with a fork. Leave the bananas in larger chunks instead of mashing them - the texture will be so much more enjoyable.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Sift them over the wet ingredients and then fold everything with a spatula until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool for about 30-45 minutes in the pan then turn it out and let it finish cooling on a rack.