If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A lovely meat salad for leisurely warm-weather dinners, indoors or out. Originally designed with lamb, but can also be made with flanken, beef short ribs or tongue. For the tongue, you may want to cook it separately first, then add to the braise for just long enough to flavor it and heat it up, not the full 2 1/2 hours. Adapted from chef-owner Doug Crowell of Buttermilk Channel Restaurant, Brooklyn, 2011. —Nancy
- 1 1/2 pounds Lamb shoulder (see headnote for other options)
- 1 carrot, medium size, each about 3 oz.
- 2 celery ribs
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 onion
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- stock (as needed)
- 1 cup white wine (dry, your choice)
- 1/4 cup capers (in salt if you can find them, otherwise in vinegar)
- 4 eggs, soft boiled (large - each about 2 oz)
- Heat oven to 325F. Season lamb with salt and pepper. Heat heavy-bottomed pot over medium high heat. Add lamb and lightly brown all over. Remove lamb to plate. Add mirepoix vegetables (onion, carrot, celery) and the garlic, all roughly chopped, to original pan & cook until golden. Deglaze with white wine.
- Add reserved lamb, produce & wine, bay leaf & thyme to a Dutch oven or other oven-proof pot. Add stock to cover. Cover pot, cook in oven 2 1/2 hours until meat is falling-off-bone tender. Separate meat from bones. Strain braising liquid, return to pot and reduce - on top of stove - by half. Set aside.
- 4 cups cauliflower
- 1 cup croutons
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard, dark or grainy
- 1 cup mayonnaise, home-made or your favorite commercial brand
- 1/4 cup buttermilk (optional)
- 1 head of frisee lettuce
- Raise oven heat to 400F. Trim cauliflower into florets (about 3-4 cups), toss with 1 tbsp. olive oil, roast for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven & set aside.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar & buttermilk (if using). Warm shredded lamb in half cup of reduced braising liquid. Add roasted cauliflower flowerets, croutons & 3/4 cup salad dressing. Add warm lamb and its liquid to bowl. Toss until coated.
- Line each of 4 plates or wide bowls with romaine leaves and shredded frisee. Spoon over the mixed lamb, cauliflower, croutons. Drizzle each plate with remaining salad dressing and top each with tablespoon of (rinsed) capers and one soft boiled egg (whole or cut in half).