If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is from my boyfriend's mother, Lisa Janofsky. It's adapted from Epicurious (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/brown-sugar-glazed-sweet-potatoes-with-marshmallows-813) and Crème de la Crumb (http://lecremedelacrumb.com/2014/10/candied-pecan-sweet-potato-casserole.html). —Sarah Jampel
Serves 10 to 12
- 4 to 5 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams), peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup plus 1/2 packed brown sugar, divided
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Piece the sweet potatoes with a fork, then bake for about 1 hour or until tender. Let cool to touch, then peel and mash the sweet potatoes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 375° F. Combine 2/3 cup brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and spices in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves, and then pour over the potatoes and mix until smooth.
- Grease a 9- by 13-inch baking dish and pour in the sweet potatoes. In a bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, flour, melted butter, and pecans and mix well. Sprinkle mixture over potatoes and bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes, until pecans are caramelized.
More Great Recipes: Side Dishes