If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is my attempt to replicate the much celebrated Sweet Potato Latkes from Orna & Ella's in Tel Aviv. Enjoy! —jonaz
Food52 Review: We love the simplicity of this recipe -- originally from Orna and Ella restaurant in Tel Aviv, Israel -- which really showcases the richness of sweet potatoes. The ingredient list for the pancakes is fairly short: sweet potatoes, flour, sugar, salt and pepper -- plus an unexpected yet welcome dose of soy sauce. Jonaz has you boil the peeled potatoes and drain them for an hour before using your hands, playground-style, to mash and combine them with the rest of the ingredients. Then, you use a pastry bag to form the pancakes in the pan. This can be a bit difficult, as the batter is thick and sticky, but a spatula will help you flatten and smooth the pancakes, which you then brown in butter until crisp. The Cream Dipping Sauce is bright and herbal, a great counterpoint to the suppleness of the pancakes themselves. - A&M —The Editors
pounds Sweet Potatoes
tablespoons Soy Sauce
teaspoon Fresh ground black pepper
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into large pieces. Remove any dark spots.
- Cook the sweet potatoes in boiling water until soft.
- Leave in a strainer or colander for at least 1 hour to drain completely of water
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large bowl and mix with soy sauce, using your hands** (do not overmix, or the mixture will get too sticky to work with).
- Add flour, sugar, salt and pepper and mix with hands. Remove any hard or black parts.
- Keep mixing with hands until you get the right consistency. The batter should be soft, even and a bit sticky. If it is watery add some flour. DON'T OVERMIX!
- Put the batter into a sandwich bag or other plastic bag, tie off the end and puncture on one end to make an icing bag.
- Warm up a non-stick pan and add butter.
- Make two-inch pancakes on the frying pan. Fry on both sides on medium heat.
Cream Dipping Sauce
pound sour cream
salt, pepper, mustard & lemon to taste
- Mix all ingredients and serve with the pancakes. Enjoy!
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe