Author Notes: This recipe is my attempt to replicate the much celebrated Sweet Potato Latkes from Orna & Ella's in Tel Aviv. Enjoy! —jonaz
Food52 Review: We love the simplicity of this recipe -- originally from Orna and Ella restaurant in Tel Aviv, Israel -- which really showcases the richness of sweet potatoes. The ingredient list for the pancakes is fairly short: sweet potatoes, flour, sugar, salt and pepper -- plus an unexpected yet welcome dose of soy sauce. Jonaz has you boil the peeled potatoes and drain them for an hour before using your hands, playground-style, to mash and combine them with the rest of the ingredients. Then, you use a pastry bag to form the pancakes in the pan. This can be a bit difficult, as the batter is thick and sticky, but a spatula will help you flatten and smooth the pancakes, which you then brown in butter until crisp. The Cream Dipping Sauce is bright and herbal, a great counterpoint to the suppleness of the pancakes themselves. - A&M —The Editors
- 2.75 pounds Sweet Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh ground black pepper
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into large pieces. Remove any dark spots.
- Cook the sweet potatoes in boiling water until soft.
- Leave in a strainer or colander for at least 1 hour to drain completely of water
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large bowl and mix with soy sauce, using your hands** (do not overmix, or the mixture will get too sticky to work with).
- Add flour, sugar, salt and pepper and mix with hands. Remove any hard or black parts.
- Keep mixing with hands until you get the right consistency. The batter should be soft, even and a bit sticky. If it is watery add some flour. DON'T OVERMIX!
- Put the batter into a sandwich bag or other plastic bag, tie off the end and puncture on one end to make an icing bag.
- Warm up a non-stick pan and add butter.
- Make two-inch pancakes on the frying pan. Fry on both sides on medium heat.
Cream Dipping Sauce
- 3/4 cup Chives
- 1/2 pound sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonaise
- salt, pepper, mustard & lemon to taste
- Mix all ingredients and serve with the pancakes. Enjoy!
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe