If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Kachariyu basically means to grind as everything is ground to make a fudge like energy bar like sweet. It is consumed and is available mostly in winters in India specially Gujarat. There are small temporary stalls where you usually go and buy this in small batches although it is really simple and easy to make at home. You can add or leave anything you do not like but I would not consider making it without 5 basics - Sesame seeds, jaggery, coconut, dates,almonds and ginger powder. These five okay six ingredients are a must. You can form round shapes like truffles, cut into squares, or roll them as logs and then cut them into round cookie shape rolling the sides in dry coconut or nuts. Enjoy! —PistachioDoughnut
- 1 cup black sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup Jaggery
- 6-7 good quality dates pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup desiccated dry coconut
- 1/2 cup coarsely ground nuts almonds, cashews etc
- 2 tbsp melon seeds
- 1 - 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp ginger powder + 1 tsp cardamom powder + pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tbsp fried edible gum (totally optional)
- 1 tsp ganthoda powder also known as valerian root
- Reserve very little of everything for garnish specifically coconut, cashews nuts, melon seeds, poppy seeds.
- Slightly roast the sesame seeds and once they have cooled down, add them to the food processor and process it until you its finely ground but still it looks powdery. Gradually mix in other ingredients like dates, coconut,nuts, melon seeds and poopy seeds finally with jaggery. You can process it after each addition or everything together. Basically, everything should get along with each other. Add in the ginger powder, cardamom and nutmeg. Give it a nice mix. By now it should start releasing the oils from sesame seeds. Do not process it until there is a lot of oil. It should be sticky and oily enough to form a log or shape.
- Line a glass bowl with parchment, sprinkle evenly some coconut flakes, cashew nuts or sliced almonds, white sesame seeds. Transfer the black sesame mix into the bowl and try to press it into the bowl. After some resting, you can unmold it upside down on a serving dish. So, you can have garnish on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dates
More Great Recipes: